Cannabidiol (CBD) products are popular for their therapeutic effects like reducing pain and inflammations. The analgesic effect of CBD makes it useful for treating both nociceptive and neuropathic pain. The purpose of this article is to better understand the use of CBD for pain management in treating neuropathy.
CBD For Neuropathy
Neuropathy is also called peripheral neuropathy. This condition usually occurs due to issues with the peripheral nervous system. In some cases, the pain is short-lived, while in other cases it gets severe overtime. Moreover, this condition cannot be cured, and most treatments focus on reducing the severity of the pain. CBD is useful for treating this condition because of the analgesic property it imparts by positively influencing the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Working Of CBD Oil For Neuropathy
CBD benefits for neuropathy is due to its analgesic effect which it imparts by interacting with CB1 and CB2 receptors of the endocannabinoid system (ECS). The CB1 receptors found in the peripheral and central nervous systems play an important role in pain perception. CB2 receptors are mainly part of the immune system, it stimulates responses that reduce pain, inflammations, and minimize tissue damage due to injuries. Apart from this, CBD’s analgesic effect is due to its positive effect on vanilloid receptors that modulates pain perception.
The Pros Cons Of CBD For Pain Management In Neuropathy
- CBD products like oils are useful for alleviating the symptoms of neuropathy like anxiety, pain, muscle spasms, nausea, and vomiting.
- CBD was removed from the list of prohibited substances by WHO and WADA as it does not pose the risk of developing an addiction.
- CBD is a better option than over the counter pharmaceutical painkillers due to its lack of side effects.
- It can be purchased without a prescription in states that have legalized CBD use.
- Only limited reliable scientific studies have been conducted to study the effectiveness of CBD in treating neuropathy.
- CBD oil poses the risk of producing adverse side effects due to its interaction with certain medications.
- Also, there is the possibility of side effects like diarrhea, low blood pressure, nausea, vomiting, and drowsiness, etc., with higher doses of CBD.
- Finally, because of the unregulated nature of this market, there is a high possibility of coming across fake CBD products.
On a final note, before using CBD oil for neuropathy, you must consult with the physician to get his opinion, and bear in mind that it cannot cure the condition.